Hong Kong really is an amazing city. The longer I am here, the more I appreciate it. There simply is SO much to do and see right at your fingertips. One minute I can be in the midst of a busy shopping mall and the next I'm out hiking in the greenest of hills. There's lectures, sports clubs, spas, theaters, beaches and endless outdoor sports to partake in. There just isn't enough time.
This Saturday I joined a few colleagues/friends for a hike again on HK Island. I regularly hike home through Tai Tam Reservoir so I thought I'd pretty much seen it. I grossly underestimated the hiking potential right in my own backyard. We climbed for about five hours and if I'd had more water with me, I would have happily gone longer. It really is hard to believe that I'm within city limits. The company was also wonderful as it seemed to effortlessly move from one conversation group to another. A perfect mix of good people & good times.
That night I attended a group birthday party on a junk boat with my friend Anne hosted by our mutual friend Gregg. Traditional junks have red sails but now it seems any type of boat is called a junk. Doesn't sound like a sound marketing scheme to me, but no one seems to worry about it. The junk went out and anchored in the middle of Victoria Harbor (in between HK Island and Kowloon) as two of the birthday boys played DJ (very well, I might add). The surrounding skyline was spectacular especially with awesome 90's hits.
Sunday I went with Amber out to Lantau Island to finally see the "Big Buddha". Amber has spoken of it since we arrived so I thought it was due time we visited. We took the MTR (subway) out to the island and then took the cable cars up to the top. I loved people watching. There were so many devout Buddists there kneeling and praying and including their children in the process. There were women in high heels and socks with bunny ears on their cell phones. There were a million adorable children there, one counting step by step up to the statue. There is no lack of things to see or do.
No comments:
Post a Comment