Last week I helped escort my 42 6th graders to Beijing. They call this experience PEAK, of which I don't remember what the acronym stands for anymore but basically it's a great experience for kids and a stressful time for teachers. As we collected kids at the airport we took them from physically shaking parents. No pressure. I had nine kids that I was specifically responsible for and thankfully they were/are reliable and fun kids!
 |
| Serena, Amelia, Jessica, Chris, Ryan, Claire, JT, Aditya & Ethan |
|
We departed Sunday morning at noon and arrived in Beijing around 3:30PM. It's always interesting to board a plane with kids. Some passengers smile while others are just down-right irritated they have had the bad luck of sharing a plane full of kids. In general, all went well, had a flight without turbulence and vomiting and we landed. Our only plan for the day was to eat dinner and to attend an acrobatics show. Each meal included a ridiculous amount of delicious food. Eating dim sum style, there is a lazy Susan in the middle of the table and for about 20 minutes various platters would come out that then get spun around and shared by the whole table. The aerobatics show was also amazing! There were feats of balance and skill that I can't even describe. I can't imagine having that much core strength! Sorry, but no cameras allowed...
Day 2 we awoke to attend our KungFu lesson in the local park. We weren't the only ones there, as it seems that everyone is doing some sort of activity in the park. Dancing is a favorite. I'll have to say, I really enjoyed learning some KungFu and knew that my niece Sofe would have really liked it.
 |
| With our KungFu master |
 |
| Chris & Chris learn the basics (yes, they are both 11!) | |
|
In the afternoon, the students went to the Huiling Center, which is a home for people of whom are mentally handicapped. Initially, like most, the kids were intimidated, but after a few games and songs, they joined in and really enjoyed their time. It brought back memories of my time at the DuVall home in Florida where I'd been with my church youth group in high school. My favorite was Michael (given English name) as he adored Michael Jackson and loved to show off a few of his moves. He was full of attitude and spunk. What a fabulous group of people...
 |
| Michael jams out with friends in their costumes. |
 |
| The performed a few songs for us and the students sang two back. |
Later that night we also went to see a KungFu show. I know it was pretty cool, but I fell asleep within the first half hour!
Day 3 we had an early start as we were off to visit the Summer Palace. We toured a bit and then the students were guided to make watercolor paintings.
 |
| The summer palace of the emperor |
 |
| His own private lake |
 |
| Water calligraphy |
 |
| Where a destined emperor lived, but after never being able to leave, committed suicide. |
 |
| Each Chinese home had this to step over. The higher status the higher the step, of which you were to never step on, only over. This was a deliberate boundary so you knew when you were entering someone's personal home. |
 |
| The budding artists |
 |
| Isabelle and her watercolor |
 |
| Homes of concubines |
Later that afternoon we bussed off to make dumplings and climb on the Great Wall. It couldn't have been a more beautiful or clear day. We first stopped off at the home of two sisters, who graciously allowed us in to learn a bit about making dumplings. The home was basic but homey. We weren't there too long before we were rushed off to the restaurant to eat some of our own. I'll have to say, those veggie dumplings were my favorite part of any meal I'd had all week and I had some very delicious food!
 |
| The cabbage-based filling |
 |
| The view of the kitchen, separating the two main rooms. |
 |
| I'd love to grow old with my sister too. |
|
|
|
And then, one of the highlights, to hike along the Great Wall was next. I was with the "speedy" group and we took off to get in as much as we could. We took the gondola up and spent about an hour along the wall. The views were amazing and it was incredible to see this giant structure go on infinitely in my eyes in both directions. I can't imagine the man power it took to make it.



On Day 4 the students were to complete a market challenge and see if they could buy up to 11 items with a very limited amount of money (10 RMB). While they enjoyed running around and bargaining, I know some of the venders weren't as amused. Thankfully, after the challenge, many were returned their items unused (without returning our money) so they could sell them again. That certainly removed any edge. Afterwards we moved on to tour a hutong, a traditional Chinese/Beijing home. Many of these were destroyed pre-Olympics to help clean up the city, as well as make more room for the 20 million inhabitants and incoming guests. They are built a bit like an alley way with many rooms made around an center opening to the outside. Doesn't sound too practical when it comes to heating, but what do I know. Inside various rooms, the kids partipated in various activities such as tying Chinese knots, calligraphy of Chinese characters, paper cutting and a couple of traditional games. To get to lunch, we all took pedicabs, which was a highlight!
 |
| Bartering for lotus root |
 |
| Ryan is totally lost when it comes to making the knots and the women only know Chinese. |
 |
| JT plays the Chinese version of hacky-sac. |
 |
| Pedicabs |
Finally, we went to the Forbidden City. We initally walked through Tiananmen Square (of which means nothing to nearly all Chinese which is so bizarre!), under the picture of Mao and into the initial gates. I had no idea how big the Forbidden City would be, but I should have guessed by the title "City" that it would be quite huge. By this time, smog is completely setting in and it's horrible. I really have no idea how people can stand it. I talked about it a bit with the tour guide and he said that smog is "so not Chinese". Ironically, that is pretty much what I associate with China, yet I'm sure he's right. For centuries their country was known for it's natural beauty. It's only within the last couple of decades that it's been in this haze.
 |
| This woman was SO dolled up, with the exception of wearing her hotel slippers in TSquare. Bizarre! |
 |
| This is where you can find Mao today, still preserved and visible. |
 |
| HUGE TV's in the square. There were two. |
 |
| Mao rules...and so does the pollution. |
 |
| Babies had split/open pants so when they needed to go to the toilet, the just squatted and went. I wish I had an "action" shot! |
 |
| HUGE doors, each with 9 x 9 golden knobs. Nine was considered a lucky and sacred number. |
 |
| A sense of scale...and just one of many buildings. |
 |
| Moving into one of the inner palaces. |
 |
| Gold was the color of the emperor, as well as his symbol was the dragon, as it had all the features of the other ruling animals, making it superior. |
 |
| The more animals on your roof, the more important you are. Ten is as high as you can get. |
 |
| Dragon tiles are everywhere. |
 |
| The girls buy sugar-coated fruit, which was yummy! I don't remember what those red apple-like ones were called but they were tart and tasty. |
Our final day we went into another park and played more games. I found it so interesting to people- watch in a Chinese park. There is all kinds of stuff going on. It's clearly a very social venue. I tried out the Devil's stick and found out that I'm a bit of natural. That certainly impressed the kids! From there we had our final tour of the Temple of Heaven. Can't say it was that dramatic of a place after all we'd seen but it still was nice to see another significant and ancient part of the city.
 |
| I have no idea what this guy is doing with this on his head but he couldn't stop dancing. |
 |
| The devil's stick. |
 |
| The goal is to keep the ball on the racket while graciously swinging it all around. |
 |
| Chinese chess and many cards games were being played. |
 |
| The teacher group: John, Lisa, Lillian, Florence & myself. I realize that backpack is doing me no favors. |
 |
| The whole gang in front of the Temple of Heaven. We all wore matching sweatshirts every day and I was grateful for it! |
And then that afternoon, we flew home. Kids jumped into their parents arms and I slept like a rock in my own bed that night. Good times were had by all...
You can see more pictures at:
My Picasa Album
No comments:
Post a Comment