Saturday, November 5, 2011

The New Digs

I know a few of you have been curious about my new living arrangements (OK, mainly just my Mom) so I thought I'd provide a few pictures of my "new" flat.  It's still a work in progress and it ain't my house in Leiden, but hey, it works and works pretty well.  I'm a happy girl.  On paper, it's 700 square feet, but I think someone's fudging the numbers.  It's basically one large room (kitchen, dining, living) and a bedroom with bathroom off to the side.  
This is my front door.  Having a bouquet on my door helps  ease the transition from Holland :)

This is to the left as you've walked in the front door.  I have a huge, full-sized fridge and microwave up top and then the world's smallest oven and washing machine to the right.  I didn't even know they made them that small.
That said, I wish I had a smaller fridge!  I take all my linens & towels to be cleaned and dried each week.  It's easy and pretty cheap.

Here's the extra bathroom.  I never use it, only for storage.  When your apartment is this small, having two bathrooms seems silly. 
Here's the kitchen...all of it.  One sink and two induction hot plates.  The end.

Most places don't even have space for a kitchen table so I was lucky.  I also have a little "display cabinet" .

Looking into the living space.  I only brought three pieces from Holland.  The rest I bought second-hand.

My love of art has easily eaten up all the wall space.  It makes me happy.
Here you can also see my new purple couch. :)
I have a large set of windows (with not the greatest view) but will be getting curtains soon.   For now, I have some nice potted plants set out on the ledge.

Looking back towards the front door.
You can also see my dehumidifier here.  It's always on and I dump it out twice a day!

Small space, big TV.  I am American, after all.

Moving into the bedroom from the living space...

Included closet space is a bonus  That one door will never fully close and it does drive me mad!
I am getting a new blind instead of the curtains.

From the bed looking towards the attached bathroom.

It's me!

Looking out back into the living room...I mean, dining room, I mean kitchen!
Big bathroom sink...

and roomy shower.
And there you have it folks.  Oddly enough, the owner was about ready to make another bedroom from the living space as he thought it would be more rentable.  Clearly HK logic is not my logic!  And this flat, could also be yours for the low, low price of $2200/1600 Euro a month!  Thankfully, I do have a housing allowance that covers it :)  Let me know when you plan to come and visit.




1 comment:

  1. Your beautiful things make the space look larger. It looks great! I love the painting in the bedroom. Cheers from Budapest, Sarah

    ReplyDelete